Sunday, October 3, 2010

4. Wayne Thiebaud

I was having a hard time trying to figure out who else to write an artist blog on when I thought of a painting that I saw in the De Young Museum in San Francisco  two summers ago. The painting was of three gum ball machines and I remeber loving this piece when I saw it in the museum. I couldn't remember the artist's name so I did a Google search and sure enough the painting popped up and I came across the artist Wayne Thiebaud. Thiebaud, is a famous American Painter and he is known for his work during th Pop Art movement. He paints things like cakes, candy, pastries, lipstick, ect. objects that are of intrest to the mass culture. In his paintings he likes to used very vibrant and heavy pigments as well as casting extremely defined shadows in his work.

"Three Machines"
One of the reasons I like his paintings is because I love color and he is not shy when it comes to the use of color. There is a simplicity to his work, he uses very defined  and crisp lines. Theibaud also pays attention to symmetry and his work never feels off balance, which I appreciate.  I like that he paints objects from popular culture cause I can relate to the these objects that he features but he also puts his own flair on them.  Overall I think his work is refreshing and fun, it reminds me of memories from my childhood and thats always enjoyable.
"Boston Creames"
"Cakes"

No comments:

Post a Comment