Sunday, November 21, 2010

5. Philip Guston

"Multiplied"




"Painter III"

Philip Guston was a well-known abstract painter. Through researching him I found that he helped to lead a transition from Abstract expressionism to Neo-expressionism in painting. This movement meant leaving “pure abstract” and transitioning more into cartoonish versions of assorted personal symbols and objects. This “cartoonish” aspect indeed shows through in his works, a cartoon that caught me eye in is work is a white hooded figure that, I believe, is meant to represent the KKK. I don’t know much about painting but I did take a notice to his brush strokes that were very prominent and bold in his earlier works. I also noticed that the he uses a lot of red in his work or shades of red in his later works; which is a color that holds a lot emotion.
oil on canvas
"The Studio"

Over all I think his work his interesting, there are pieces that are really enjoyed but others I don’t much care for. I do like the cartoon aspect of his work I enjoy the fact that it feels more playful. Guston’s early works that are seen as “pure abstract” I can appreciate because I find it abstract art difficult to execute. Some of his early works; however, I don’t care much for because they don’t strike an emotion in me. His work at time feels random and sometimes I don’t even understand the message he trying to get across but I like that he keeps my eye constantly moving through certain works. Philip Guston’s paintings are ones I have never much looked into before; I can definitely see the transition from his early works to the later works. His work seems to speak of certain controversial issues but pokes fun at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment