Wednesday, November 24, 2010

7. Duane Hansen



"Children"













Duane Hansen is a contemporary sculptor whose work would fall under the realm of Kitsh. Until this class I never knew what Kitsh was and now that I have an understanding I can better appreciate Hansen’s work. He creates narratives with his work and most of his sculptors consist of humans that are created with vinyl. His sculptures look freakishly real and they remind me of the sculptures seen in wax museums. Hansen’s sculptures feature “everyday people” every thing from tourists, construction workers, or even a woman shopping. What is so great about his work is that he is really good about making these sculptures/people look as if they are in their natural state, which makes them seem so realistic.

I appreciate Hansen’s work because his craftsmanship is pretty amazing, especially the life like quality he gives his sculptures. I do think is work is pretty tacky but that is basically the point of Kitsh so he achieves that very well. Until now I have never thought of these sculptures as art I guess because I am so used to thinking in terms of marble sculptures of Greek goddesses and what not, but this is art just the same. Hansen’s execution is great and his stories are told quite clearly. Overall I think Hansen’s work is brilliant and definitely paints a clearer picture of what Kitsh is.

No comments:

Post a Comment