Saturday, November 27, 2010

'like a museum'- final project blog entry



I chose to visit the Birds of Prey to examine the qualities of the displays that they featured. One that I was particularly drawn to was a vitrine(s), in the Falconry exhibit, that incased a number of Falcon helmets/hoods that are used in training the Falcons. The display was simple, it featured a few cases with shelves of these helmets that were evenly spaced. I appreciated that they weren’t over crowed so they didn’t take away from the artifacts, which in this case were quite detailed. In front of each helmet was a rectangular piece of white paper that had black text explain the origin of the helmet. Behind the helmets were also titles that were made with big enough text to easily read but were not distracting. Overall, I feel the display was inviting and appealing to the eye.
my drawing of it


The grouping made perfect sense was very easy to follow. There was no question that it fit into the exhibit and there was plenty of information leading up to where these were placed in the exhibit. The relationship between the display and exhibit was flawless, there was history and information on Falconry and then it lead to the finer details, like the helmets. Not only that but also this display did a fine job at enhancing the exhibit because they are such vital artifacts.
 











I don’t recall seeing anything on the display that stated who curated it but when returned home I looked it up on their website and found the information. There were two curators for this exhibit John R. Swift and Emeritus, S. Kent Carnie. I was made privilege to this information through the website, it may have been presented in the exhibit but I didn’t see it. Overall I was very pleased with the display not only were the artifacts interesting but the display was clean and not overwhelming. There was a good information that enhanced the display but was presented in a way that didn’t take away from what my attention should be focused on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment