Friday, November 26, 2010

8. Margaret Kilgallen

Mission School Movement

I came across Margaret Kilgallen on the Art 21 website, she specialized in printmaking; an area that I don’t know much about but have always appreciated. Her work features these interesting figures both male and female that have prominent features and very expressive faces. Kilgallen’s prints also feature text that reminds me of typeface that would be seen on posters advertising a carnival or circus. Her prints are done with a lot of warm colors but have hints of cool colors that add to the depth of her work but is also appealing to the eye. Some of her work is large-scale installations that are in museums or even on the sides of buildings, which I find so great.
"To Friend + Foe Installation"

 I really enjoy her work and the more I look at it the more I want a piece for my room. I appreciate that her work is simple and clean and has great line quality. Beyond that is has a playful quality and I enjoy the cartoon side of it.  Another aspect of her work that I love is some of her work, although is one piece, is made up of a collection of varying size pieces but comes together as one. Kilgallen has a great eye for placement and does a good job at taking space into consideration, both negative and positive. Her work inspires me to learn more about printmaking and I will continue to look at her work. She is quite talented at what she does and I appreciate all aspects of her work.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment