Thursday, September 9, 2010

2. Rita Ternes


After talking about Rita Ternes in our first lecture I was really drawn to her work, so I thought I would write about her as one of the 3-D artists. Her medium is ceramics; she uses stoneware to create objects, which are then fired in a glass kiln. Through researching about her I found out she relates her ceramic work to dressmaking because with dressmaking forms are shaped my cutting out a pattern and assembling it into a 3 dimensional object. This is the technique that Ternes uses in creating her ceramic forms which I find very interesting.
Schale (shell/dish)



I personally love the elegance of her work, and the curvature of her ceramics. She adds an element of interest by painting bold lines on her pieces with shades of brown, orange, tan and blue. I can see where the relation to dressmaking show through in her art. She simply cuts one side of the piece and turns inward to create a whole new dimension. Her work also features convex and concave lines, which always add to the level of curiosity in piece. I feel that Rita Ternes is extremely talented in her field of work and it is easy to tell that she pays great attention to detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment