Friday, September 24, 2010

Conceptual Art - Project #2

Erin wasn't lying when she said this next project would be a hard one. I have never learned much about Conceptual Art until this class and it kind of blew my mind. Some of it I think is a bit of a stretch to call it "art" but it does give whole new meaning to everyday objects. Like the piece "Oak Tree" by Michael Craig-Martin, when I first heard what it was and the title I thought that I was a joke. However, after we discussed the meaning behind it made more sense. Michael, the artist, wanted us to think of an Oak Tree even though that wasn't what we were looking at; its actually quite clever. Than it was my turn to come up with a clever idea to create something for this project but I was stuck.

Oak Tree
What I have created so far
I had a bunch of ideas running through me head but  I still wasn't sold. At first I thought about making a bikini out of tape measures, to send a message about body size. I also had and I idea of getting a bunch of pink gum erasers, arranging them in a pattern and then drawing on them with Shaprie to convey the message that what is permanent can't be erased. After those and a few more ideas I still wasn't complete sold on what I wanted to do. Before class on Thursday I was standing in my kitchen just looking around asking myself what is something that I used everyday. It was when I saw the coffee filters and an idea popped in my head. I realized that I was going to take the Tara Donovan route with this project and work with and everyday material, like coffee filters, and create something with them in multiples. What I have started making with them kind or looks like and reminds me of coral reef that you would find in the ocean. As of now I like the direction I'm going and I hope that it turns out well. I  am extremely interested to see what my classmates are going to do because there are some many directions that are possible with this project.
Coffee filters

No comments:

Post a Comment