Thursday, September 2, 2010

1. Georgia O'Keefe

For my first artist write up I wanted to do one about Georgia O'Keefe because she has always been a favorite of mine. I grew to love her work even more after I saw it in a Boise Art Museum Exhibit years ago. O'Keefe's work would fall under 2D media mainly consisting of watercolor and oil paintings. Her paintings of flowers are what I love most and I believe it is because some of my favorite objects to paint are different types of flowers. Not only are flowers, in a sense pieces of art on their own, but O'Keefe never fails to bring out a whole new level of interest in her flower paintings. I look up to her as a painter because she inspires me to not be afraid to look at something like a flower but interpret it in a different way.

Red Canna
Black Iris
One on my favorite qualities of O'Keefe's work is how she uses color or, how she isn't afraid to use rich vibrant colors. It's easy to tell that her color choices are well thought out and layered in such a way that brings out interest and depth in her art. She also uses a lot of curvy and soft as well as convex and concave lines to show off the dimensions of a flower. Another element of her work that I enjoy is the idea that at first glance some of her paintings don't look like a flower, this adds a level of interest. An example of this would be her Black Iris painting. In addition, sometimes she will take a part of a flower, like the center for example, and paint only that section at a much larger scale, which I love. Overall I find O'Keefe's work very beautiful and she never fails to impress me.


Petunias

No comments:

Post a Comment