Thursday, September 9, 2010

Journal in the Making

In the process of binding the book.

On Tuesday of this week in my Arts and Humanities Class we started the process of making our very own journals. I figure that this is something that involves creating so I wanted to blog about it even though it’s a work in progress. First off, the supplies needed are; sheets of paper (that will be folded in half), to pieces of cardboard, a long piece of string, a twisty tie that is used as the “tool” for binding, and whatever is desired for decorating. The first step is to fold all of the sheets of paper in half and then put five sheets of paper into a group; this makes it easier for binding. I did 5 groups of 5 sheets amounting to 25 pages. Next we had to poke five holes along the crease of the paper where the string is threaded to bind the book, which is the step I’m currently at. Binding it is pretty tedious but I know that when I’m done with it I will appreciate the work that I put into much more.
The supplies
(the fabric is what I will use to decorate)
"the tool" used for binding

The part I’m most excited about is to decorate the cover because we have free range to do whatever it is we want. I feel it’s more meaningful when I create something from scratch, because it would be just as easy for me to go buy a journal. I think its neat that our professor is having us make them. Not only will I fill the journal with my thoughts and drawings but the fact that I actually made it makes it more personal. It sounds cheesy but I think I will hold on to this journal forever. I’m excited to see everyone’s decorations because no two journals will be the same, which is the beauty in an art project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment