Thursday, December 2, 2010

11. Jean Shin

'Unraveling'
yarn of sweaters
'Sound Wave'
records
'Chance City'
discarded lottery scratch cards







I did a search for contemporary sculpture artists on Google and I was looking through the images when I can across Jean Shin. Shin was born in South Korea but is an American artist who works and lives in New York City. I thought I would pull a quote from her website about her work because it really explains it best; “Jean Shin is nationally recognized for her monumental installations that transform everyday objects into elegant expressions of identity and community”. Her work is very labor intensive as well as tedious. Shin collects tons of obsolete materials; which in turn is the basis of her sculptures. She collects things from worn shoes, lost socks, broken umbrellas, discarded lottery tickets, and prescription pill bottles.

I personally think her work is amazing and she is now one of my favorite sculptors. I love that she collects out of the ordinary objects and then creates something so spectacular and pleasing to the eye. Not only that but her work makes me view these objects in a different light; plus she is recycling and reusing materials, which is always great. Shin’s craftsmanship is outstanding and I appreciate the cleanliness of her work. Her work is also very pleasing to the eye. I appreciate that scale of her sculptures and the arrangement of her installations because she takes it to the next lever. I hope that Shin will continue with this line of sculpture cause I absolutely love it. 
'Chemical Balance'
prescription med bottles

 


No comments:

Post a Comment