Friday, December 3, 2010

Children's Book Illustrations

I thought it would be fun to blog about book illustrations because they are something that I have always enjoyed and will continue to enjoy. Book illustrations come in such a wide variety, and I love all types whether they are simple or quite detailed. One  thing that I really appreciate about children's book illustrations is that they have a playful quality to them and I like the innocence of the art work. One of my all time favorite book illustrations is in "Where the Wild Things Are", the author Maurice Sendak did the pictures. I really appreciate the how he created each "Wild Thing", I enjoy the detail and color scheme  throughout the book. He truly makes the each monster come alive, I appreciate the texture that he gives them and his attention to shading that really makes each page pop.





Another children's story the I love, not only for the story but the illustrations is in "Olivia", which are done by Ian Falconer. The illustrations in this book are quite different from that of "Where the Wild Things Are" but I like them equally. The illustrations in "Olivia" have a simple color palette that consists of white, red, gray and black. I appreciate the simplicity of Olivia who is the main character in the story and is also a pig. She consists of a simple line drawing with shading to give her more dimension. None the less she is portrayed as a cute pig just as she is said to be in the book and Falconer did a great job at connecting the two. 


I think I will always appreciate the art in children's books and I think a part of that is because it will always remind me of my childhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment