Sunday, December 5, 2010

13. Ron Mueck


I remember looking at some of Ron Mueck’s work; he is a hyper-realist sculptor, when the class was preparing for the body project. I recall thinking that it was so odd and almost creepy. I still sort of get that feel when I look at his work but I do appreciate his craftsmanship because it is outstanding. Mueck creates sculptures that look like humans but he brings about great emotion in he way her positions them and the their facial expressions. If it weren’t for the scale of his is work, which is either monumental or doll size, it would be so easy to mistake them for real people. Mueck is so detailed down the lines and wrinkles in the skin and the color of the skin, its almost eerie because it resembles so closely to a real human being. However, in some of his sculptures he feature parts of the body but in an over exaggerated way or out of proportion. This has intentional purpose.




I would love to see Mueck’s work in person because even from viewing images online it is still mind-blowing. I have such respect for his attention to detail and I appreciate the time that he puts into each of his creations. These sculptures are necessary some thing I’m attracted to but I find beauty in the craftsmanship. Not only that, but I like that Mueck makes the viewer see the body in a different life. It is any up close and personal experience with the body that he is creating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment